Here are some questions that strike me:
1. The IC justification for people with large and permanent pads often do not make a lot of sense. Do we care? In parts of the game that are status-obsessed, it can be a weird dissonance, since Player A may be hustling hard for something that Player B has with no effort.
2. There's been statements from staff about large/perma pads becoming faction rewards. What is the appropriate timing on that, understanding that individual circumstances will vary? Is that something you get after a few months of exceptional work for a faction? A year-plus? Multiple years? Also, when does that 'clock' start -- syndicate membership, for instance, is the culmination of a career, but someone isn't likely to spend multiple years in a syndicate. In a corporate job, though, multiple years isn't crazy. On the other hand, people age out of gang membership after 6-12 months.
3. Generally, what should large pads signify? Is the possession of one a 'holy shit this person is mega-powerful' indicator of age? Is it a signifier that 'this person is hot shit at this moment' that comes and goes?
4. If large pads are moving to being status rewards, how do we handle people with perma-pads in that context? If, say, a PC gets rewarded with a Nakatomi pad for being a badass at their company, does it make sense that other PCs get them for nothing? It's not like memberships can buy you other kinds of promotions, so if large pads are 'promotion-like', that creates potential problems. Do there need to be a class of large pads that are 'promotion pads' that are separate from people who have membership large pads so that there's not the sense that people have purchased IC status with a membership?
5. Finally, and this is a staff question, what is the scope of the issue? How many perma-/large-pad players are there out of the active player base? If it's just one or two people, it's not a big deal, but if it's a considerable percentage, it's a larger problem potentially.