I proposed that plots don't have to be world shaking events. Some of the best plots are really just a reason to get out of the bar and go do something that you and your characters will find exciting and fun. It's a backdrop for your roleplaying and interaction with other characters.
One example I gave, was 'get a pizza and go explore the sewers'. This sounds so silly and simple but it doesn't have to be. A lot of roleplaying could go into something like this.
- find people that are going to go with you that have supporting skills and motivation ie combat, medic, stealth, gear, perception, inclination
- sit down over pizza and form a plan of attack ie what info do people have on the sewers', had anyone explored them before, what did they find, what do you hope to find, what happens if you get attacked, what happens if you find something or someone, how do you communicate if separated, when do you pull the plug, what do you do if something goes horribly wrong, do you need to update your clones, where do you start, what gear do you need
- gather the gear
- scope out entrances, and exits
- leave a letter or gridmail to yourself in case you die
- do the actual exploration
- do a debrief after, what would you do differently, did you have what you needed to do the exploration, anything you need more info on?
A plot like this can generate a lot of RP for thos involved and a sense of excitement and accomplishment even if you don't find anything. Your characters have better info on the sewers', maybe that is valuable when running from the judges or terra or gangers or a fight. You might find a secret area few people know about that you can use for nefarious purposes.
You are also practicing how to run group efforts. Who did well? Maybe they will be useful on future endeavors. Who didn't do well? How can you help train them up so they are more useful in the future. Did you get into a fight down there? Did people react in a way that was beneficial? If so, how could you do it even better next time?
I'd like to generate a number of these plot ideas that people can have suggested to them. What I'm looking for feedback on is what people would like to see from them. There should be a template of sorts that each plot ideas has. These plots will be things players can run and that don't require GM support (though gms can take notice and roll with it if they want).
Some things I'm thinking are:
- name of plot ie: pizza exploration
- time required
- # of people
- rough cost (free/low/med/high)
- something about why it's fun or what you get out of it
- possible variations (explore the badlands, explore heaven, explore blue, explore a corporate hq)
- things you will learn OOCly (working together, how badlands work, etc)
What else would people want to see from these or this command?